Whether you're a frequent flyer or going on your first trip with an Iowa State University business purpose, we want to make planning for your trip as easy as possible! Check out the Before You Go Checklist (below) and the Travel FAQ for things you should consider and resources available to you!
Before You Go Travel Checklist
For Domestic Travel
- Have you applied for a T&H Card to pay for travel expenses?
- Reviewed the “Which card should I use” page to see what items can go on your T&H Card?
- Purchased your airline ticket through Iowa State's contracted agencies or directly through the airline's website?
- Driving from Ames? Have you reserved your car from Transportation Services?
- Reviewed options for airport shuttle service?
- Renting a car at your destination? Have you reserved your rental car on Iowa State’s Enterprise contract?
- Reviewed the per diem lodging rate for the location to which you are traveling? (If securing lodging within the State of Iowa, all providers must be verified through the Iowa Office to Combat Human Trafficking Website.)
- Considering using Iowa State's Airbnb for Work contract instead of a hotel? (If securing lodging within the State of Iowa, the provider must be verified through the Iowa Office to Combat Human Trafficking Website.)
- Downloaded ISU’s Lyft app?
- Reviewed the per diems for meals for travel?
Additional Items for International Travel
- Do you have a valid Passport and/or Visa? Check your destination country on travel.state.gov for how current your passport needs to be and visa requirements. Most countries require a passport that will be valid for at least 6 months beyond your trip. For visa processing assistance, Iowa State Employee travelers can work with ISU Risk Management.
- Have you requested a PIN number for your T&H Card? It will take a minimum of 10 days to receive a PIN number after you have contacted US Bank.
- Reviewed Risk Managements Travel Information page for international travel?
- Registered your itinerary in the International Traveler Registration for international trips? This will enroll you in the international travel insurance and coordinate other resources including a link to download AlertTraveler.
- Does any data, software, or equipment containing software that you are traveling with require export control analysis?
- Updated your cell phone service for international travel?
- Obtained a secure laptop for international travel from your department/college or through Procurement’s loaner program?
Available Travel Contracts
Airport Travel (to Des Moines Airport)
- ISU Transportation Services – Airport Shuttle
- Enterprise one-way rentals (arranged by ISU Transportation Services)
- Executive Express
Charter Bus Services
- Airbnb for Work
*If securing lodging within the State of Iowa, the provider must be verified through the Iowa Office to Combat Human Trafficking Website.
- Gateway Hotel and Conference Center
*Have been verified through the Iowa Office to Combat Human Trafficking Website.