Quick Check List
Before placing an order with a company that you are unsure of or before paying an invoice that does not look legitimate, take the following precautions:
- Never place a phone order unless there is no doubt a firm is reputable. Get everything in writing and check out the company with Procurement Services.
- Check your records or with Procurement Services to confirm claims of previous business dealings with a company or seller
- Establish effective internal controls for the payment of invoices.
- Channel all bills through one person in your department.
- Use purchase orders or your procurement card for every order placed. Then you will know that unknown invoices are likely not an authorized purchase.
- Check all invoices against purchase orders and card transactions and against the goods or services received.
- Clear all invoices with the appropriate financial staff.
- In a dispute, if the invoicing company says it has a tape recording of an order, insist on hearing it.
When in doubt, contact Procurement Services.