How Do I Buy...

Controlled Substances

Procurement Agent(s):
Craig Sondgeroth


This item can be ordered through Procurement Services on a requisition or by utilizing suppliers contracted and available in cyBUY. Documentation and control issues require tracking of controlled substances and that licensing and purchase documentation be maintained. Individuals that do not have a current DEA license, can go to the Controlled Substances Policy Page and complete the application process. 

Note: Controlled substances may only be shipped to the address provided on your DEA license.

Definition: Controlled substances are drugs or other substances, both narcotic and non-narcotics, that come under the jurisdiction of the DEA Controlled Substances Act, and are listed in the DEA Controlled Substances Inventory List.


ISU Enviromental Health and Safety Contact

(515) 294-5359

Procurement Procedure:

Submit a non-catalog requisition to Procurement Services with the DEA license number on the face of the requisition or utilize a contract on cyBUY and follow the instructions provided by the supplier to submit your license. Create a non-catalog requisition in Workday with any accompanying information about the requested purchase to Procurement Services (i.e. order form, quote, email from supplier, etc.). If you need assistance creating a non-catalog requisition in Workday, email the information to

For class I and II substances, a DEA 222 form must be uploaded to your non-catalog requisition.

Sample of DEA 222 form