How Do I Buy...

Architects/Engineering Services

Procurement Agent(s):
Matt Linder


The Regents Policy Manual defines "professional services" as unique, technical, and/or infrequent functions performed by an independent contractor qualified by education, experience, and/or technical ability to provide services. In most cases, these services are of a specific project nature and are not a continuing, ongoing responsibility of the institution. The services rendered are predominately intellectual in character even though the contractor may not be required to be licensed. Professional service engagements may involve partnerships, corporations, or individuals. Some examples of "professional services" typically utilized at the University include consulting, marketing analysis, banking services, medical/physician services, auditing, software development/design, and editing services. Speakers and entertainers do not require a university Professional Services Contractual Agreement (PSA) unless they represent a conflict of interest.

The Accountable Government Act passed in the 2001 Legislative session requires greater Contractor accountability from procurement Services so Procurement Services maintains an oversight role in services contracting.

Policy information can be obtained by reviewing the revised Professional Services Policy.

A new agreement format, called the Professional Services Contractual Agreement (PSA), has been developed and is to be utilized by the departments for professional services acquisitions. Older PSA versions should be discarded. All PSCA's that exceed $2,000 MUST be reviewed by Procurement Services before going to the supplier. In most cases, Procurement Services will work with the supplier to get the PSCA signed and will issue a PO to the supplier and send a countersigned copy. Please contact Procurement Services with any PSCA related questions.

Overview of Procurement and Payment Process for Professional Service Acquisitions

Professional Services FAQ


Procurement Procedure:

See the general Professional Services Commodity page for the Procurement Procedure.