What should the T&H Card be used for?

The P-Card Program and the T&H Card Program are separate programs that delegate authority to cardholders to purchase approved commodities, specific to the card type, directly from suppliers that accept a VISA credit card.

The T&H Card Program provides travelers with an alternative mechanism to pay for authorized business-related expenditures, rather than having to commit personal funds, and provides a mechanism for employees hosting visitors to the University to pay for authorized hospitality-related expenditures.  Using the T&H Card also provides travel accident insurance, collision damage waiver, and emergency travel services through card provider U.S. Bank.

Examples of T&H Card expenditures would include:


Using any other 3rd party vendor ex: AirBnB, VRBO, etc. is not allowable on a T&H Card.

If the venue is located within the state of Iowa and provides lodging, you must also verify they have their Human Trafficking Prevention Certification and are compliant with the Iowa Law.

  • Airfare
    • Booking through Corporate Travel Planners (CTP) our contracted travel agency.
    • Booking directly through the airline’s website.
      Note: Using any other 3rd party vendor ex: Expedia, Kayak, Travelocity, Priceline, etc. is not allowable on a T&H Card.
  • Meals
  • Car rentals using the Enterprise/National contract.
  • Hospitality expenses such as hotel rooms and meals for guests of the university.

A list of expense types and which card to use can be found on the P-Card or T&H Card: Which Should I Use? webpage.  Please note this is not an exhaustive list and you can reach out to cardservices@iastate.edu with any additional questions regarding allowable purchases on your T&H Card.

Additional information about the T&H Card Program can be found in the Travel and Hospitality Card Program Guide.  A step-by-step walkthrough of the application process is available at Workday: Card Applications in Workday.


← Go Back